Saturday, November 20, 2010

Almost there!

I'm almost done! I can't believe it myself, but I finally finished the joysticks along with the wiring, placed them in the table and secured everything. I event did a minor test, and everything seems to function. Here is a picture of the 1st Player control panel:
The 1st Player control panel comes also with two side buttons for powering on the machine (located on the left side of the panel - illuminated in green) and the exit game button (located on the right side - illuminated red)
The 2nd Player control panel was colored red with a blue joystick.

This is how the joysticks were placed in the table:
To secure the Joystick control panels, I had to use something that will allow me to later disconnect the panel for repairs or if I find out in the last minute that I did a mistake.
For securing the control panels I used a window latch that I found at a hardware shop. I used two on each inside side of each panel. A picture is worth a thousand words:

When the table is closed, everything is snagged in nicely and comfortably. First I made sure that the control panels doors can be closed and that the spacing that I did was correct.

Then I placed the monitor and connected all the wires/connectors. I took a picture from the point of view of the 1st Player control panel:

I did another test before turning on the machine if everything is sitting properly and the panels can be closed and opened:

And the final test is to check if the buttons work and I didn't miss anything. I did a basic test and then my wife called back home to help her with the kids. The only thing I did test was the power on button that function correctly and all the lights in the table work just fine. I did a small test with the joystick going up and down, but not much. I'll do the thorough test later this week.

The next day I went into the workshop and just looked at the table and took a deep breath. It's amazing how I see the end of the project arriving.

I asked my wife to take a peek. She looked at it and she gave me a kiss. She was very impressed with the results, when she knew with what I started. She even asked questions later on how will two players play if the screen orientation can be adjusted to only one player. It seems that my wife is interested to see it in the house, and I think I'm raising the WAF scale here!

More to come soon, I should be receiving the glass top anytime this week.

2 comments:

  1. That's a awesome looking Arcade Table, I can't believe you made that yourself! I'm a huge gamer and I like to play old school games as well as new games. My friend recently purchased a arcade table and I thought it was so cool so I decided to go online and do some research on my own to see if I could find one for myself. That's how I came across your post. I'm going to make sure to show my buddy this table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - if you need help in building your own arcade I'll be more than happy to help.

      Delete